Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day

This was a special weekend for me and my son. I had challenged him at the beginning of the school year to memorize the books of the New Testament and if he was able to do that then I'd take him to Splash Lagoon near Erie, PA. In addition to memorizing them he had to learn to spell them which proved to be more of a challenge but he's mastered them and has learned many of the Old Testament books too.

Part of my goal for this trip was that we'd begin to have some official "Father/Son" talks with this one being the inaugural conversation. The topic I chose this time was what has become known to Amie and me as the "Pre-Puberty" talk.

As a part of our weekend I threw in comments about how his body would change as testosterone was released into his system and the impact that would have on his mind as well as his physique. It was fascinating to watch him learn new things and ask questions along the way. He's still very innocent and I didn't shatter that but I did want him to know that our relationship would begin to morph into a more intentional discipleship and mentoring role. I'm looking forward to the years ahead and the chance we'll have to grow together.

In addition to going to the water park we sat together on Presque Isle and watched the sun set over the horizon. As we neared the end of our evening we bowed our heads and prayed for one another and for his mother and sister. It was a special time that I will hold dear forever. He's one of the best gifts God has given me and I love him more than I can express.

As we left to head out for our overnight trip away my daughter cried and begged me to take her too. As hard as it was for me to leave her I know that our time away together will quickly approach and we'll have a bond that is unique to Father/Daughter relationships. I look forward to that season as well.

I wonder how you learned about things like puberty. Who told you? Did your parents talk with you about things like that? Will you talk with your kids about these important matters?

No comments: